Thursday, April 18, 2013

Challenge Schmallenge

I've only cheated once on the April Challenge of no sushi, but I see eff it! I'm done with depriving myself of my very favorite food. I mean, it's not Carl's Jr. or McDonald's. It's not the worst thing to indulge in every now and then.

So I learned something yesterday. I realize this seems really obvious, probably to everyone else, but it just occurred to me yesterday. If I'm craving something (such as sushi) then it's really better for me to have it in moderation (I don't need to eat four rolls at a time, maybe just one or two!) than it is for me to not have it at all. I've noticed that my snacking is a bit out of hand the last 2 days that I've really wanted to have sushi. Instead of having the sushi, I just had almond butter with chocolate chips and veggie chips and a slice of cheese and extra egg and bacon on my cobb salad and 1/2 cup of coconut milk ice cream instead of the 1/4 cup serving. Calories I ended up eating one way or the other.

I'm going to do the Whole30 next month with Amy (more on that later) so I'll have more time to not eat my favorite food. But in the meantime, if I want it, I'm going to have it and dang it, I'll enjoy it. Again, it's more about the quantity limit than anything else. If I can manage that, I can be a-ok. Granted, I don't always manage that, but I do better when I give in to the craving with the intention to moderate than it is when I just give myself free reign to make up for the craving other ways.

So.... April challenge is officially voided for me. I have all of May to refocus energies on no sugar, no grains. So in the last 12 days of this month, if I want sushi, gosh darn it, I'm going to have it!

Okay, rant over :)

1 comment: