Monday, March 29, 2010

Diet and Cleanse - DAY ONE

Today is Day One of my and Special K's elimination diet and cleanse. It is essentially a macro diet for 5 days and then we will reintroduce food one at a time which means we'll be eating like this really for about 3-4 weeks depending on what foods we will be able to tolerate and which ones we won't be able to during the reintroduction phase.

We spent the 10 days prior to this essentially pigging out. Eating burgers, fries, cheese galore, Mexican... whatever the heck we wanted. I am still 8 lbs down from the beginning of this year so I didn't just pack on a bunch of pounds from my scarfing everything in sight.

So today starts with me being pretty tired and low energy. Around 9am I go to make my liver cleanse tea for later and my steel cut oats, which I have loved in the past. But as I make the oats, and mix the first batch with blueberries, then add cinnamon, then add a dash of salt, and eventually add it to the trash can, I remember I loved my steel cut oats with a sprinkle of Splenda brown sugar, which is now a no go. My second batch tastes like powder from the heap of cinnamon I add so it, too, gets dumped. I opt, instead for a handful of cashews and almonds and a cup of strawberries.

Strangely enough, I'm not that hungry. So at 11:35am, after a 15 minute attempt at a nap and a 30 minute cardio kickboxing work out, most of my breakfast still remains to be eaten. I'm sure this will change soon. I'm sure I will be hungry every few hours once the meat and fat gets fully digested and out of my body from the last few days. Then I'll be ravenous. Hopefully Special K won't be missing any limbs by the time this is all over *gnaw gnaw gnaw*

Today for lunch I made a Garbanzo and Fennel soup thing which is a bit bland, but with salt should be fine. I have never cooked Fennel before. It doesn't seem to have a distinctive flavor or smell and I had NO idea how to cut it up, but... I made believe it was an onion and I treated it like one. Tonight's dinner entails a garbanzo and pistachio nut bake thing of some sort. For dessert, I think Special K will make some fried plantain. In between I have fresh mangoes, pears, apples, almond butter, grapes (that are to DIE for, by the way), pineapple, strawberries and some other green fruit that looks like squash but I actually have no idea what it is, but am excited to try it. I'm sure there will be lots of salads and nut munching, too.

Overall, I think I have some activities to keep Special K from being too bored here during the week and we'll be working out and going to the gym together as well. Tonight will be movies galore what with this crappy stormy weather and another night this week I'm sure we'll make into game night. Weird to watch movies and play games without a glass of wine or beer. I'm also taking Friday off so we can spend the day at the hot springs treating ourselves for a good Macro-Vegan week. :)

Already miss cottage cheese.

2 comments:

  1. omg! I so want to try all this, but sounds so hard! I would miss cottage cheese too! I love all cheeses, so I'd miss them all.

    Keep up the good work! Can't wait to hear all about it all. So you can eat as much fruit as you want???

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much fruit as you want, but no citrus. all the veggies you want, but no corn, potatoes, or tomatoes strangely enough. And ALL recipes require one or all of those above so it's been interesting to kind of wing it and find substitutions for flavor and density. Zucchini and vinegar are my friends. :)

    ReplyDelete