Wednesday, February 18, 2015

2014 Amazingness and 2015 Resolutions


 
2014 was one of the best years of my life. At the turn of the clock on 1/1/14, I was a few weeks out from Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery, finally on the road to recovery and ready to start living my new life with my new stomach.

To recap, I went on no fewer than 16 trips ranging from weekends at the coast to Las Vegas to the very tippy corner of Arizona bordering Mexico to the Redwood forests in Northern California. I did pub crawls and wine tour days and went dancing and to concerts and to a wedding reception for new friends I met through the WLS community. I went hiking and walking and exploring. I had big parties, small parties, dinner parties, movie nights and book club meetings. I went to happy hours and fancy dinners and went dancing and felt more fully myself than I ever had before.

Gym goodness

Some of my big surgery related accomplishments and notable mentions were that I lost 100 pounds, I hit Onederland (meaning my weight is now in the 100’s), I can cross my legs (most notably under a table!), I don’t have chaffing when I wear dresses and skirts, I can shop in regular sized stores, starting 2015 in a M/L, 12-ish size range. I have BONES! And not just collar bones, but elbows and knees and hips and ribs and a JAW (this is amazing)! I am in the best shape of my life, with so much more room for growth. I can walk and hike and move without constant pain, especially foot pain I completed a 12 week weight lifting challenge and lost 12 inches and 4 pounds… results aside, though, I was PROUD of accomplishing the challenge. I showed up, I was present, I did the work and it changed my life and my attitude on fitness and how fitness and I relate to each other.

As I closed out 2015, I spent a solid month over eating, making poor food choices and drinking way more than I usually do, and, frankly, more than what I prefer. I gained just about six pounds during the month and started to feel worse and worse. I put together a photo collage to remind myself of how far I’ve come and reflected on what I wanted 2015 to look like for me.

Xmas 2013 vs Xmas 2014
Xmas 2013 vs Xmas 2014
I came up with the following resolutions/ goals:
  1. 208 hours of exercise in 2015. I am starting off the year strong with a month back at the Kettlebell studio (more on that later) with 4 one hour work outs per week plus an additional day of cardio (time to be determined) and 75 minutes a week of yin yoga. After the month in the kettlebell studio, I’ll probably go back and do the 12 week weight lifting challenge again on my own. Love me some muscles!!!
  2. I would like to reach my weight goal this year. I had it previously set at 160, but I’m going to try to go for 150. If it takes me all year, that is okay. I want to eat well and exercise and get to where I’m going with the mindset of it’s a marathon and not a sprint. As of today, this leaves me with 44.6 pounds to go. I’ll reassess where I want to be from there.
  3. I will do one Whole30 challenge in 2015. I start this on 1/5/15 so I expect to get this done early and maybe do a second one in May or June, but my goal is to successfully complete one of these. I like doing these in January as I can abstain from all the shit that got me in the ruts in December: Sugar, alcohol, gluten, dairy. Protein and produce is what I’m all about this month.
  4. I would like to reduce some old credit card debt that I have. The number I have in mind will take me 2/3 of the way to paying it off in full.
  5. Travel! I would like to take one large trip (5+ days) and at least 4 small trips (3-4 day long weekends). I have WLSFA in San Diego booked and a subsequent cruised booked with some friends I’ve made through the weight loss surgery community. That will be 9-10 days. I already have two long weekends away booked with my fella and we’re talking about doing Dallas and NYC this year as well so I’m well on my way to accomplishing this goal.
So, friends, I’m feeling hopeful, determined, optimistic and excited for 2015. What are your highlights of 2014 and goals for the new year ahead?

No comments:

Post a Comment