Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Halfway Point

Today marks my halfway point of my Whole30 Paleo Challenge. I can't tell you how amazing I feel. My energy has been consistent, I've been getting through my work outs without being so exhausted I need to quit, I'm sleeping better and I'm not really craving much. I love it!

I wish it were easy ALL the time to eat no sugar, but it's really not. I mean, it's easy to limit sugar at home, but you never know what you're getting if you eat out. And I really don't want to live my life without the occasional glass of wine or a cocktail at social occasions. Also, as I learned, traveling and eating Whole30 is difficult. Not impossible, but definitely a challenge.

As you know by now, I tried out for the Biggest Loser this last weekend by attending a Casting Call in Phoenix, AZ. I packed a lot of food with me in preparation for the flight there and back, waiting in line, etc etc. I packed SeaSnax, Primal Pacs, cashews, almonds and oranges. Also a few raw bars I found at New Seasons that had no added sugar. I ate only two meals out and still managed to have 5 corn chips and a dallop of sour cream on my not so awesome salad at dinner on Friday night and some cheese and ranch dressing on my salad at lunch on Saturday. I also had sour cream and quinoa in my Paleo-friendly Green Chile Verde soup that my host made for me. Sunday I was so exhausted after getting up at 4am to get to the airport and fly home that it was difficult to stay away from the sushi when we went out for Mother's Day. In the end, I ended up getting sushi take out and getting my fill. I didn't feel awesome physically, but I didn't beat myself emotionally for the few transgressions I made away from plan.

I was immediately back on plan after my Sunday take-out and haven't strayed since. I really am working on letting go of the perfection mentality. I do want to do my best on the 30 day challenge and I'd like to think I'll eat like this when this is over (which I expect since my regular diet isn't really all that different than this) but if I eat like this 80% of the time and the other 20% of the time is still healthy foods that may involve dairy, grains and sugars like honey or maple syrup... with an occasional cheeseburger and fries thrown in for good measure, then I feel perfectly fine with that. I hope my release from the perfection mentality stays with me... the "all or nothing" and black and white thinking doesn't do anyone any good. Moderation, moderation, moderation. Life isn't about perfection, it's about doing your best, feeling your best, and taking care of the only thing you have in this world when it comes down to it and that's your health. Physical, emotional and spiritual health, all deeply intertwined.

So I reach back, give myself a firm pat on the back and carry on, my head held high and a bounce in my step.

No comments:

Post a Comment