Thursday, June 10, 2010

Results and detaching from the outcome

Do you think it's even remotely possible to do something for ourselves for the sake of doing it? Something that is good for our minds, our bodies and our hearts (both figuratively and literally?) without expecting more noticeable results?

A couple of months ago, when I started down this journey of healthy eating and exercise, I told myself it was energy related. And it was. I was tired every day, barely able to keep my eyes open in the afternoons and I'm a pretty high energy person naturally so I just was not feeling like myself. And if you don't feel like yourself, then who are you? I continued to have very low energy even after being treated for hypothyroidism and that's when I started the basic diet my naturopath gave me with the whole grains, beans, leafy greens, nuts/seeds and fruit. That DEFINITELY helped. And then I decided to kick up my workouts that I was doing at home (thank you, Biggest Loser DVDs and P.S. I love you, Bob Harper) and bought some personal training sessions at my gym and committed to doing whatever he told me work-out wise.

And now, I feel like a million bucks. My energy level has picked up and is consistent throughout the entire day. My body is fueled much more efficiently and my metabolism has got to be revved up a bit from the additional cardio and weight training I'm doing. So yay!! Goal achieved. Right?

One would hope. But I haven't lost any weight. I found out today I've lost 5 inches in 5 weeks (mostly in my lower body) and while that is not an achievement to scoff at, my scale holds steady and my clothes almost feel tighter. So what's a girl to do?

Well, I could sit here and feel sorry for myself and binge on ice cream (which, trust me, sounds like a mighty fine option). Or I can stand up straight, pat myself on the back for my diligence and trust that whatever is meant to be, will be. If I am meant to weigh this weight, then I must learn to accept that the best I can. If I'm not, then I am learning some seriously awesome building blocks to make those changes happen; and they will happen, in their own time.

It's easy to become attached to an outcome/result and be disappointed when it's not what you want, especially when it comes to weight. It's harder to just trust and accept and do your best all the while. Today I'm going to put my energy into appreciating the body I have the best I know how, keep fighting the good fight and let the Universe do what it will with the rest.

4 comments:

  1. I hear what you are saying - society says all the time visual results are the only meaningful results. The initial goal is not usually to be healthier, it's to look better and then hopefully to feel better.

    It's too bad that feeling better from the inside is so hard to keep as a front line goal. I am proud of you for doing it and proud of you for resisting that ice cream splurge too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. re: ice cream splurge... the day is not over yet! LOL But here is hoping. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock! Not that you need reminding, but its always nice to hear it. :D

    I can understand the frustration at not losing any weight with how well you've been eating and the commitment you've made and are sticking to with cardio and working out, but on the bright side you are feeling great. And I know that that has been an issue for you. You are treating your body well, and loving it like it should be loved. Kudos to you for continuing to treat yourself right, and grow and love you for you, just the way you are. Because you are beautiful, awesome, and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PUT DOWN THE SPOON!!! No, say no to the temptation! That scale will soon move with a huge flush to prove it. Keep at it! :) Isn't it another week before we talk about rewards??? :)

    ReplyDelete